CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Feeding Frustrations!!

I don't really get this whole.. learning to eat thing. Shouldn't that just be something you're born knowing how to do if it's so necessary for survival? It's never ending and seems like every time we accomplish something, it's time to transition on to the next!

For instance.. Reilly took 6 weeks to latch! That is a very long time, but we were determined and I refused to give up because I figured it was the first difficult thing that I had to go through for my child and giving up would set the tone for our entire life and make me a bad parent. That's how I felt about it, I'm not saying that if you give up breastfeeding or are unable to do it you are a bad parent, I'm just referring to the challenge. I didn't want to give up just because something was too difficult when I knew that it was very possible too accomplish breastfeeding, regardless of how much time it took for us. Anyway.. he would not latch, so naturally he was bottle fed for most of his feedings and then we would make attempts to latch or use a shield (which is probably way too much information.. but, oh well.). At 5 weeks old we started to transition off of the shield, which only took a few days! Yay!! However.. I had an oversupply so I had to reduce my supply, which was painful. We don't need to go into more details than that. Naturally, getting him to transition off of the shield meant no more bottles until he was the perfect latcher. So he was, and then when we went to reintroduce bottles (we were allowed 2 a week until I went back to work just so he was used to them) he wouldn't take the bottle anymore. He is.. 18 weeks old and I can now give him a bottle.. almost. He still throws little fits about it. A few people can, I've never witnessed it because if I'm even in the room he would rather just breastfeed. SO YAY!! I gave him a bottle.. buuuutttt.. now he is 4 months old, so it is time to transition OFF of the bottle! Are you freaking kidding me? And combine that with starting solids. So as of Tuesday he would take a bottle from me, and starting Wednesday he takes my milk off of a spoon for one feeding a day! Not to mention I just finished cleaning his weaning cups and will probably give him one of those today. And then once he is used to that I'm sure we will start the next stage of bottle weaning. It all makes no sense to me!!

Day #2 of solids.. he didn't like it so we stopped.

My dad told me to put the rice cereal in a bottle with a faster flow nipple. However, he is a father of the stone age and everything now says NOT to do that because it could 1. choke them and 2. make spoon feeding that much more difficult later or 3. frustrate them and ruin all of the work that I've done to bottle train and now unbottle train. He told me to "keep it simple".. this is no time for personal change and growth. Who does he think I am? I have not done one simple thing in my entire life and I'm pretty sure that my kid is following in those footsteps considering this whole feeding conundrum!

Maybe it is simple, billions of people do this everyday.. but.. I'm tired so I'm allowing myself to be cranky! So that's my little rant for the day, thanks for listening. :)

Watching his movie. Baby Genius nursery rhymes.. sweet stuff. He gets a few minutes of it a day.. certainly not an entire DVD!!

2 comments:

Emilee P.

Aww Sarah :) You are such a good mommy :) I can't wait to meet Reilly! Love y'all!

Crecia

Congrats on the breastfeeding! It is such a challenge, but so worth it.

Post a Comment